Monday, October 5, 2009

SENSEsational Alphabet Review



My two year old son has an ASD and if you don’t know what those letters mean, I will tell you. ASD means Autism Spectrum Disorder and really it means he does not have Autism per say but is showing enough red flags that he falls somewhere within the spectrum. He is now in therapy (two different ones) for certain things but it was a long road to get there. When he first turned two we went day to day with A LOT of frustration. We had referrals, but they were taking us nowhere.



We (my husband and I) started to teach him some sign language and this worked, but only for a few words. You see, my son did not talk, that’s right, I had to wait two and one-half years to hear the word mama come out of his sweet little mouth. I started searching and searching for books, articles, anything that would help us communicate with him. This is when I found SENSEsational Alphabet. April Rofe had a goal that came about after seeing that her own family learned so much from all sorts of books, such as sign language, touch and feel, and just a variety of different types of books. That goal was to help other families have one go to book that incorporated all of these ways of taking in information.



She achieved her goal when SENSEsational Alphabet became a reality. This book and card set is wonderful, really it is. April, along with her husband sent me the book and the card set and also graciously sent me an extra to give to my son’s therapists. I cannot thank them enough, we have worked with the book and cards every day and my son is thrilled when we get them out. I will tell you why.
The book has simple yet colorful pictures and each letter has its own page. Each picture incorporates a sense, such as touch with texture and even smells with some having a scratch and sniff item on it. Not only that but each page gives you the sign for it and has the words in Braille. As an added bonus the book also has a touch pad which lists the alphabet and says the letter and the word of the picture out loud. Two of my son’s favorite pages are the K and Z. K brings you a picture of a Kite and Z brings you a working zipper. It is amazing that in two weeks my son is saying kite and zipper, when just a few weeks ago we were lucky when he would say dada.



The cards are like a mini version of the book, with each picture being the same as the book and still having the sign and the word in Braille on them. We take the cards with us everywhere and pull them out whenever we get the chance. Even the older kids will get them out and go through them with the 2 year old.
The book and card set would be great for any young child just learning the alphabet, but they also work wonderfully for those children that may need a little extra help.



If you want to buy the book, cards, or both just click on the title above and it will take you to the website. Not only can you order from the site, you can also find out more about the author.

Thank You April and Erik for allowing me to review this wonderful product and for allowing me to share a set with my son's ECI Program.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great product...thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete