Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What are Your 5 Favorite Holiday Activities to do with Your Kids?

To celebrate the premiere of Dora’s Christmas Carol, Nickelodeon and TwitterMoms want to hear your favorite holiday activities that you like to do with your kids! For your chance to win a $100 gift card go Here and check it out.

Around my house, we absolutely LOVE the Holiday season. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is full of fun activities. Here is a list of my top 5 activities that I love to do with my kids.
I can almost call these traditions (maybe in another year or so).
1) The weekend after Thanksgiving the kids and I listen to Holiday music and put the tree up. While doing this my house is filled with so much laughter. Normally my oldest (who is 8) does some crazy things and makes all of us about fall over with tears running down our faces because we are laughing so hard at and with him. Last year, he pretended to be "the tree" and wrapped himself up with lights (I did not let him plug himself in) and made such goofy faces that you could not help but start to laugh.
2) After the tree is up and decorated, which can take All day, we start baking cookies usually on the Monday or Tuesday following. The kids all help with making my kitchen a beautiful mess. We make all the dough, play outside while the dough is chilling, roll it out, cut it in wonderful shapes, and bake up our 5-8 dozen cookies. And yes the Holiday music is playing the whole time.
3) The next day, after I get the kitchen all cleaned up, we set the table with bowls of colored frosting and every type of sprinkle we can find. We turn the music on again and we all get to work decorating our creations from the prior day. This year Daddy will be able to join in the decorating fun.
4) On Christmas Eve, We all get bundled up in our warmest PJs and we drive around looking at the magic of the season. That is what my now 6 year old has called going to look at the lights for the past 2 years. I think she gets that from me as the lights that others take the time and energy to put up can sometimes simply amaze me. Once we are back home, I make us all a big cup of hot chocolate, can't forget the little white thingys that go on top. While drinking our hot chocolate I read "Twas the night before Christmas".
5) Christmas morning is the most chaotic, most anticipated, and most wonderful day for me. We always have a big breakfast while waiting for Daddy to wake up (when he is home). This also gives them energy to open all the goodness Santa has brought them. After breakfast we all go with coffee in hand to wake up Daddy. Then the smiles, laughing, and fun really start. After presents we do a light lunch and a big (no matter how many are here in the house) Dinner.

We do a few more things within the Holiday season but the 5 above are my favorites. The smiles on my children's faces are priceless. We listen to the wonderful music during every activity.


I want to know, so before you head over to TwitterMoms, leave a comment telling me one of your favorite things to do with your children. No kids, then let me know your favorite thing about the Holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment