Sunday, January 3, 2010

General Mills Cereal!!


Do you eat breakfast? I have always stressed to my children the importance of breakfast, but I will admit that I rarely eat anything in the morning. Just like the change of the year, I have begun a change in my house. New rule: Everyone will eat some type of breakfast.

General Mills is making this new rule an easy change with their commitment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to kids under 12 to single digit grams of sugar per serving. To me cereal is a quick breakfast, but used to be full of way too much sugar. Now my children can have a quick kick start to their day and I no longer have to worry about them being overloaded on the sugar front.

What do you know about cereals? Do you know that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters? Also, Cereals deliver important vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, making cereal a top source of key nutrients in children’s diets.

Other cereal benefits:

Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children’s diets.
Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child’s diet today.
More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.

Studies also demonstrate the benefits of eating breakfast. A 1998 study showed that children who eat breakfast tend to perform better at school. Compared to children who skip breakfast, children who eat breakfast score higher on tests, are less likely to miss class or be tardy, have fewer reported discipline problems, and make fewer trips to the office.

Now we home school, but I do notice that if the kidlets skip breakfast they end up having a horrible day. So I tend to lean toward agreeing with the 1998 study.

Right now you can go over here and get a coupon for $1.00 off.

You can also learn a ton about the benefits of Breakfast cereals here

I do have one wish for General Mills and that is to find a different red dye to use. Although this is not the same for every family but around here the kidlets have red dye #40 very rarely. My children have learned that things don't need color to taste good.

General Mills provided me with the VIP coupons and all information through MyBlogSpark. All opinions are my own and I know not everyone will agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment