Friday, March 19, 2010

Mmmm Beef Chimichangas!



I made Beef Chimichangas for dinner tonight and oh my goodness they were so delicious! The recipe is out of the book: Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer I made a few changes to the recipe. I omitted the chile's because my Husband doesn't really like anything spicy. For some reason I had enough meat mixture for about 12 chimichangas instead of the 9 that the recipe said it would make.

On cooking day you will need:
1 t salt
2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I used crushed garlic from a jar)
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. oregano, crushed (I used oregano flakes)
1/2 cup canned green chile's, chopped (I omitted these)
1/2 cup taco sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cider vinegar


Sprinkle salt in a medium skillet


Place over medium heat. Add meat on top of salt.


Add Garlic and spices.


Cook until the meat is no longer pink.


Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Remove from heat and cool.


Freeze the meat mixture, don't forget your label!!

On serving day you will need:
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
9-7inch flour tortillas
Some shredded cheese (I used cheddar)


In an 8 inch skillet, melt butter


Dip both sides of 1 tortilla into butter; drain off excess


Mound 1/3 cup of meat mixture in center of tortilla.


Fold tortilla like an envelope and place seam side down in ungreased 11X7 baking dish.

Repeat with each tortilla.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees


Bake until crispy, about 15 minutes.


Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for a few seconds.



You can top them with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. We only used cheese and sour cream. They are quick and easy to make. I love that out of 6 that I cooked up tonight, I have 2 left. I also have enough meat mixture in my freezer for 6 more chimichangas.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! This looks sooooo good!!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mexican food, but may I suggest a more efficient use of your butter? Melt 1/4 cup of butter in the microwave and brush the butter onto the tortilla shells before heating in a skillet. Even if you don't use butter the tortillas should be flexible enough to wrap your filling in and further bake in the oven. I love spicy food so I opted to add in a few jalapenos and added salsa as a topping. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, Thank You for the tips! It did say you could just microwave the tortillas, but I wanted to keep with the original recipe as much as I could. I too like a little spice in my food. LOL If it were not for the hubby man I would only eat spicy foods.

    ReplyDelete