Friday, March 12, 2010

U.N.I.Q.U.E. and U.N.I.Q.U.E. KIDS review!!


No matter what you do in your daily life there are times you either trust yourself or run away within yourself. It is true, Think about it...

Do you want to learn what it is that holds you back from being 100% confident with your decisions and actions. I know that I have had days where I took a step back instead of forward. Are you the who you always wish you were? Maybe you are like I was, something from my past was holding me back. This something was a tragic event that until working with this book I had no idea just how much this was holding me back.

First I want to tell you about the author of U.N.I.Q.U.E. Growing the Leader Within and U.N.I.Q.U.E. Kids Growing My Leadership Garden.

Debra Slover is an educator, author, and child advocate whose mission is to plant the seeds of the next generation of world leaders. She is a graduate of Oregon State University and her experience includes seven years teaching in public schools and 20 years as Director of Oregon Student Safety On the Move. Slover established Leadership Garden Services in 2003 and later formed Leader Garden Press in 2006.

The books:
First off you are probably wondering what the heck U.N.I.Q.U.E. stands for? The answer is this. U.N.I.Q.U.E. stands for Understanding, Nurturing, Inventive, Quality, Unstoppable, Expression. One letter at a time, Slover walks the child or adult (depending on who the reader is and which book) through harnessing the six qualities together to form a "Leadership Garden Legacy" based on mutual respect, cooperation, teamwork, and other values.

Never has a book made me think about things from this perspective. The book allows you to look deep into yourself to find out what things and what actions are seeds and which are weeds that need to be cultivated out of your growing garden. I along with my two oldest went through the books together (sort of). The kids obviously were using the book intended for the kids and I was using the book for adults. After each chapter I had exercises and the kids had to answer the questions that Hugh wanted to know. We each had a journal to keep track of our answers.

Just so you know that the children's book is written like a fable, I know my kids LOVED how it was written. Both books are easily read and easily understood. The hard part is allowing yourself to look at things from a different perspective.

I had a few moments where after doing an exercise I had to have a few moments of "me time" usually done by going for a run because of things that came up.

All in all these are wonderful books and I think many could use the books to help them plant the Leadership Gardens that they so desperately need, but don't know it yet.

To find out more about the books or the author go here

To order your own copy of U.N.I.Q.U.E. Growing the Leader Within click here

To order a copy of U.N.I.Q.U.E. KIDS Growing My Leadership Garden click here

I was given a copy of both books along with information about the author from prbythebook. No compensation was offered or accepted during any time for this review. The above opinions are my own and I know not everyone will agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment