Saturday, March 13, 2010

Your grocery bill... and other stuff.


I am curious. What do you spend on average per month on groceries and how big is your family?

I don't need exact numbers, just a round about number. On just groceries alone I spend about $350 per month. We are a family of 6 to include 2 adults, an almost 9 year old boy, a 7 year old girl, an almost 3 year old boy, and the baby boy who will be 1 next month. Obviously for the baby, formula is still a constant, but we have added a lot more foods to his diet.

I budget $400 per month and with the extra we are able to go out to eat at least once per month. I don't use a lot of boxed and canned items, except for some veggies and fruit. I love being able to provide good food for my family without it costing me an arm and a leg.

I have had a few comments lately (not here) that because I don't spend a lot on food that I must not be providing enough for my family. What do you think? I have found it to be cheaper to provide home cooked from scratch meals cheaper then buying all the prepackaged crap.

I love cookbooks and I love easy to prepare meals. I just recently bought myself a new cook book and I plan on going through the cookbook and bringing you all along for the ride. I am going through the book today to make up my list for the next 2 weeks. So starting Monday (maybe tomorrow) I will be sharing with you what I cook and bake including a picture. The cookbook is Don't Panic, Dinners in The Freezer

My plan is to cook for 2 weeks put have enough food for the whole month, give or take a few staples like milk, cheese, fruits, and veggies while still keeping within the budget.

I hope you all enjoy this mini excursion into my kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. My budget is close to yours. I spend about $350 a month for a family of 5. That includes some convenience breakfast foods for my teen to take to school and prepackaged dinners for my hubby to have sometimes on break or late dinner. I try to cook mainly from scratch and plan my meals. Planning saves tons of money!

    I can't wait to see some of the recipes you do from that cookbook, it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also spend about $350 a month for my family of 5. 3 of us being my sons ages 11, 6 and 20 months. I'm also finding that it's much cheaper to cook from scratch rather than buying mixes and such. And not to mention that it's tons healthier! It's nice knowing exactly what's in the food I'm feeding my kids. I could also live off my stockpile for months and months (except for perishables, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend $250/month for our family of 3. Soon to be 4, been stocking up on diapers and wipes as they go on sale. But that includes diapers, cleaning, hygeine items, field snacks, toilet paper, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to this, and I have absolutely no idea how making home-cooked food could possibly mean you are providing less. I wish I could be that disciplined. I have actually found lately that I am cooking better foods, using nicer ingredients, but since I am doing a lot of frozen foods we are spending less overall.

    ReplyDelete