Friday, July 30, 2010

How did we get here?

When did many people lose that respect factor? When did people stop teaching the children compassion and respect?

Basic things:
Holding the door open for others
Helping someone who can not reach something in the store
Saying Please and Thank You

That list can go on and on.

Just last night as I was in Walmart (not my favorite place) there was an older Gentleman using one of those electric chair things with the basket attached. We were in the pop/soda area of the store. I watched as he looked around trying to decide what he wanted, I waited until he tried to maneuver the seat close to a section. I watched as about 15 people walked past and did nothing as I made my way over to him.

I asked him which one he wanted, picked it up, and placed it in the basket. The look in his eyes said it all, but he also spoke of a true Thank You. 

My Husband always says that I am living in the wrong time and I have to agree with him. I belong way back in the day. My 9 year old son has been taught to hold the door open for others, say excuse me, and many other things that show respect. My daughter is 7 and is learning those same things. 

When did this happen? Can we pin point it?  Better yet How did this happen? When did we lose sight of the respect factor?

Respect your elders, Treat others how you would want to be treated, and once again the list could on and on.

Again just last night as I was stopped in Walmart looking at something someone had come up behind me, I was not blocking the aisle, They mumbled something and darn near ran into me to go around me without saying a word. A simple excuse me and I would have tried to smash myself and my cart closer to the product I was looking at. I was quite upset because for 1 no "Excuse Me" came from them and 2 I was already off to the side.

One good thing did happen at my least favorite place last night. A little boy around 2 years old took my hand to show me what he was going to ask Santa for. A big power wheels police car! He was so excited and the look on his face was indeed priceless. He didn't come up to me out of no where as I was talking with his mother. Figured I better put that out there. LOL

Are you seeing what I am seeing?

Think about it!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the lack of manners in society today! It's very sad!

    My son is two and he excuses himself after bodily functions and if he needs my attention, or even if we are in his way! He says please and thank you, we even get 'your welcome' out of him! :) If a two year old could do it, you would assume an adult could!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!! Even my 3 year old who has Autism will say Please, Thank You, Excuse Me, and even Bless You (when someone sneezes). I am just shocked at the rudeness that I see now a days.

    ReplyDelete